In periods of economic crisis such as the one that Greece is going through today, the environment is considered to be less important, because there are more pressing needs for liquidity. When money is missing, governments look for it anywhere – at any cost: funds that are destined for environmental protection programs end up elsewhere. Environmental protection mechanisms slacken. Untapped mineral resources suddenly look like the chicken with golden eggs and the …applied macroeconomic policy begins to leave deeper footprints in the environment.
It is indeed inconceivable to discuss hydrocarbon mining in places like Epirus and the Ionian, and indeed in valuable areas such as the North Pindos National Park, with its wonderful landscapes and the natural wealth they possess. The developmental program of these areas should rely on these natural advantages and not endanger them! When the planet is in fossil fuel dependency or and there is a problematic of addressing anthropogenic climate change, Greece’s choice to turn to hydrocarbons is politically short-sighted and undermines any attempt to change its course towards clean energy and real sustainable growth.
Hellenic American Democratic Association 23rd April 2018
1. We cannot burn the stuff we already got:
2. European Shale Oil and Gas via Hydraulic Fracturing: http://www.euromines.org/files/what-we-do/energy-climate-change/european-shale-gas-and-oil-ems-position-paper-sept-9-final.pdf
3. Shale Oil/Gas in Greece: http://www.dimokratianews.gr/content/15468/σχιστολιθικό-πετρέλαιο-και-αέριο-στην-ελλάδα”
Energean Board of Directors
Greece and Israel
6. Energean and Repsol together in Greece
7. Genie Oil and Gas/Hydraulic fracturing – Golan Heights, Dick Cheney/Rupert Murdoch
Strategic Advisory Board:
https://genieoilgas.com/about-us/strategic-advisory-board/ (strategic advisory board)
https://genieoilgas.com (look under unconventional resources and ‘in situ”)
8. WWF and Greenpeace Greece initial press release and asking for annulments of leases for seismic testing for hyrdocarbons in Epirus